Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Wizard of Oz Cake

Have you ever been to a tupperware party? Doesn't that sound kind of boring? I mean, it's a piece of plastic designed to hold your leftovers and get lost. That's it, it has two functions. I can think of so many other "parties" I would rather go to. A wine tasting party, kitchen gadget party, pajama party. They all sound interesting right? Bring a "consultant" into your house to show you and your friends the latest and greatest products? That is how our story begins as well as what brings us to today's cake. It's a little overdue on posting but it's worth it. Plus! Ty and I got a new camera! Nikon 5000D. We are still playing around trying to figure out all of the features.

Today's cake was commissioned by a friend who actually runs one of these parties. Yes, he is a "consultant."  We first met him over a year ago at our first party and we've kept in touch ever since, attending various parties over that time. He makes it so much fun. How can you go wrong with drinks, food, and friends right? His birthday was coming up and he told me that his favorite movie of all time is "The Wizard of Oz." I got excited right away, because that is one of my favorite movies too! So of course I had to do some research to get some ideas formulating. I sat down with the movie and sketched out some thoughts. Wicked Witch and Striped Socks? No, cliche. Tornado Cake! Not possible I don't do extreme cakes (But call me Food Network!). Flying Monkey? Haven't mastered the art of making things float mid-air yet...hmmm...iconic, enduring, classic, Yellow Brick Road, Emerald City, Cowardly Lion. Perfect. End Scene.

Here are a few pictures that we took with the new Nikon 5000D.

Laying out all the tools I will be using: gumpaste flower tool, mini cookie cutters, paint brushes, gumpaste rolling pin and I got to use one of Sizzix's new impression folders.  The impression folder used is brick texture, perfect!

Forming the Cowardly Lion.  If you are not that familiar with the movie, the scene I chose to recreate is the one where Dorothy, the Tinman, Scarecrow and the Cowardly Lion are walking through the field of poppies on the way to the Emerald City.  The Wicked Witch of the West poisoned the poppies so that the characters would fall into a deep sleep.  The Cowardly Lion happens to fall asleep on his back with his legs and arms up in the air. 

Poppies in their first stage

Here is the side view of the cake.  I originally wanted the Emerald Castle to be on top of the cake, but fondant can be a little heavy sometimes and it refused to stand up... that will be my next challenge 

Here is a view from the top

A close up of the lion. Check out the brick impression! 

Close up of the lion

And just for kicks, the cake was a 6" round cake, 4" tall.  There were 3 layers of cake, two red velvet and one vanilla buttermilk with Swiss Meringue Buttercream.

MSCC Cupcake Recipe up next!

Until next time, happy baking!
~Danielle 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful cake! I was really impressed with your first full bodied figurine. I can't wait for the new mscc post!

    ReplyDelete